Staying on Course With Your Treatment as Prescribed by Your Physician
Take GLEEVEC as directed
It is important to take GLEEVEC® (imatinib mesylate) exactly as instructed by your doctor. Staying on course with treatment can sometimes be difficult, even when you know that it is important.
A regular schedule is helpful when taking GLEEVEC
Because you will remain on GLEEVEC for as long as your doctor recommends, it is helpful to schedule taking it along with other things you do as part of your daily routine.
Your healthcare team may recommend a particular regimen as a way to help reduce the severity of some side effects. With your doctor or nurse, be sure to discuss your plans about being adherent in taking GLEEVEC.
Establishing a Successful Routine: Good Tips for Your Day to Day
How do I establish a routine for taking GLEEVEC?
First, develop a routine you can easily remember. Schedule taking GLEEVEC along with other things you do as part of your daily routine, such as brushing your teeth or washing your face. Talk about your routine with your doctor, nurse, or healthcare team.
Some good tips for developing a routine
Here are some tips on establishing a successful routine:
- Take your GLEEVEC at the same time every day. That way, it's likely to become part of your daily routine.
- Ask someone — such as a loved one — to help you with a reminder. Even if you forget, chances are someone else will remember.
- Each day, put a check mark on your calendar when you take your GLEEVEC. Seeing that you're keeping on schedule can help you stay on course.
- If you have a cell phone or if you use a computer at work or home, set the calendar to give you a reminder.
- Make sure your GLEEVEC goes where you go. Keep a supply at work. When you travel, make sure the GLEEVEC is in your carry-on luggage.